Since April this year Google has been using a new factor in it’s ranking algorithm which looks at how well optimised your website is for mobile phones. I had a chat with a friend of mine Lee Samson who runs a web design company in Worthing that does SEO to find out what I needed to do to my site to get it ranking when I finally get some content on here.
He looked up everything on Google for me and came back with a list of what should help get better rankings on mobiles and desktops.
- Content needs to be readable on all devices
- You should not have to zoom into your content when viewing it
- Small mobile screens should display the content with an 8 point or higher font
- Simple one column layout for easy swiping up and down the page
- Google needs to be able to read it easily
So I’ve got this funky one column theme on the site now which should be super friendly for Google and hopefully will get stuff ranking so people see my posts.
If anyone knows of any good themes they think are better for mobile SEO and is into that kind of stuff post a comment and I’ll take a look.
For now I’ll sign off and think of something interesting to write for you next time!